Costume Imitation Of Disney Movie 'Moana' Pulled Out From Stores : Here’s Why
(Photo by Jesse Grant/Getty Images for Disney)
Everybody has their eyes fixed on the upcoming movie offered by Disney, entitled “Moana”. People gave a great review on its trailer and this showcased how the company promoted diversity in the evolution of their princesses these past few years. People are in awe with the two main characters and the voices behind the roles. With the awesome feedback coming in, many people are looking into Moana's polynesian costume as a new fashion tweak for Halloween.
According to Mediaite, Disney released an imitation of the costume of Maui, the character played by Dwayne Johnson. The release is part of the merchandise conducted by the company every time that they produce a new story. The product description, according to the site, went like this:
“Your little one will set off on adventures in this Maui Costume featuring the demigod’s signature tattoos, rope necklace and island-style skirt. Plus, padded arms and legs for mighty stature!”
According to i09, the costume promotes racism because of the tattoo and skin color inclusion. Releasing an outfit from a Polynesian myth was risky, since people were already suspicious of why Moana should be showing a Polynesian culture for the sake of sale.
People from social media came in too strong to express their sentiment on the supposed release of the imitated outfit.
— taleifiji (@TaleiFiji) September 19, 2016
Disney costume is representing a character, not a culture. It's an animated movie, people, not a documentary. #moana #iamhawaiian #imua — Napuapepper (@napuapepper) September 19, 2016
With all the responses from its future viewers, Disney decided to pull out the costume and offer an apology to everyone. The company stated that:
“The team behind Moana has taken great care to respect the cultures of the Pacific Islands that inspired the film, and we regret that the Maui costume has offended some. We sincerely apologize and are pulling the costume from our website and stores.”
Popular in Community
- 'Pokemon Go' News & Updates: Niantic's Game Now Being Used As An Educational Tool; Other Schools Still Resist
- 'Destiny: Rise Of Iron' Complete Guide To Reach Light Level 385
- 'No Man's Sky' Update: Game Sets Record For Highest Drop Of Players, Highlights Risk Of Indie Game Developers
- Battlezone – Classic Game Reborn As A PlayStation Virtual Reality Game
- New ‘James Bond’ Movie Still Wants Daniel Craig To Star As Agent 007
- 'Train To Busan' News & Updates: Movie Now The Top Grossing Asian Film; Sequel To Star 'DOTS' Actor Song Joong Ki?
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers: Eric And Quinn Wedding Boycott; Ridge Might Reveal Douglas Is Not His Son
- 'The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers: Billy, Travis End Up Behind Bars; Adam Leaving The Show?