Real Life 'Fault In Our Stars' Couple Die Days Apart From Each Other
(Dalton Katie Pragere / YouTube)
Dalton and Katie Prager died days apart from each other. The real life "Fault In Our Stars" couple had been suffering from cystic fibrosis. Dalton succumbed to complications on Saturday. Katie followed five days later.
The Couple's Journey
Dalton and Katie's love story began on Facebook in 2009. According to CNN, Katie had noticed Daniel's photo in the hospital. She commented on that photo uploaded by his mother. That's how it started. They married two years later.
In 2015, Katie was fighting to get a lung transplant. They received worldwide attention when CNN wrote about her situation.
However, they are mostly known as the real "Fault In Our Stars" couple. Apparently, their story draws similarity to John Green's best-selling novel "The Fault In Our Stars". The movie adaptation also became a hit. It's about teenage cancer patients who fell in love with each other.
The Couple's Battle Against Cystic Fibrosis
The couple both had cystic fibrosis before they even met. The said disease is incurable. The average life expectancy in the developed world is 42 to 50 years. Cystic fibrosis affects mostly the lungs. It causes difficulty in breathing and coughing with mucus.
When they fell in love, she wanted to personally meet him. However, Katie's doctor tried to dissuade her. He warned that she might catch his infection. Dalton's Burkholderia cepacia infection could be deadly for Katie who has cystic fibrosis. She did not listen to her doctor.
In 2014, the couple had to undergo a lung transplant. Dalton had his on November 17. Katie got hers in July 2015.
Eventually, he developed lymphoma. He managed to overcome it, though. Then, he was hospitalized with pneumonia and a viral infection. Katie's transplant never worked. Weeks ago, she was informed that there was nothing the doctors could do.
According to BBC News, the couple was forced to live separately in recent years. Dalton was too weak to travel to Kentucky. They were last together in July. It was their fifth anniversary then.
The Couple's Death
Dalton died in a St. Louis hospital. She told him that she loved him through FaceTime. Katie told CNN that her time with Dalton was some of the best years of her life. She hoped that they brought joy and inspiration to others.
Her mother posted a message on Facebook about Katie's death. She said that she wanted to die peacefully at home with her family. She added that it is not easy. But she finds comfort in knowing that Katie lived.
Popular in Community
- Nintendo Classic Family Computer Returns in Mini Form & Built-In Games
- Xbox One S Ad Reveals 4K, HD Support; 40% Smaller Than Original; PS4 Gets HDR Support, No Blu-Ray Player
- Pokemon Go News: Niantic Praised Google Cloud Platform; Launch Issues Discussed
- Xbox One Sales Skyrocket In UK After Slim Release
- 'Destiny 2' Coming To PC Very Soon? 'The Taken King' Director Takes Charge
- Tom Clancy's The Division Update 1.4 Is Enough To Bring The Glory Back
- Pokemon GO Update: Pokeballs Regenerate, More In-Game Gaming, and Other Upgrades to Look Out For
- NBA 2K17 Guide: How To Easily Achieve 99 Overall on MyCareer
- ‘Quantico’ Season 2 Updates: Alex To Master The Art Of Deception & More Details About The Crying Woman In Her Room
- ‘Outlander’ Season 3 Updates: Showrunner Changed Opening Scene; Series Rejects Diana Gabaldon’s Ideas?
- 'Game Of Thrones' Season 7 Spoilers, News And Updates: Singer To Play Rhaegar Targaryen Revealed?
- Universal Studios Orlando Halloween Horror Nights: Experience 'Repulsitory' Virtual Reality