Google Fiber: Top 5 Features to Tear Other Internet Service Providers Apart
Google Fiber, the high speed Internet service has been launched first in Kansas City, Missouri, and will provide 100 times faster broadband speed than any of the traditional American cable and telecommunications companies including Verizon and Comcast, claimed the company executives. Credit:Google Fiber / iTechPost
Buckle up people, as the world's largest Internet search leader Google has marked its first step in the bundled Internet and television services last week.
Named as Google Fiber, the high speed Internet service has been launched first in Kansas City, Missouri, and will provide 100 times faster broadband speed than any of the traditional American cable and telecommunications companies including Verizon and Comcast, claimed the company executives.
"Google Fiber is not just about doing stuff," Google's Dov Zimring said. "It's for experiencing awesome things together ... high-definition videos, high-resolution photos and a 500MG file [uploaded] in less time than it took to take a sip of water...[It's] barely touched the surface of what can be done with a gigabit."
Like Us on Facebook
Check out the best 5 features that the Google service brings along:
1. Speed: "We at Google we believe there is no need to wait," Google Chief Financial Officer Patrick Pichette said at the launch event. And, that's the USP of the high-speed Internet connections. Google Fiber's ultra high-speed connections and television offerings are aimed at surpassing those of current providers, allowing users to search live channels, Netflix, YouTube, recorded shows and tens of thousands of hours of on-demand programming.
2. Price: Google is offering three packages to cater to the need of different users. The first package gives you 'free Internet' services. You just need to pay $300 construction fee to become eligible to receive free internet connection for next seven years. The second package costs you $70 per month but you do not have to pay any extra construction fee, reports the company. It will give you 1 Gigabit per second internet speeds and 1 terabyte of Google Drive storage.
The third and 'complete' package will cost you $120 and you will get 1 Gigabit per second internet, 1 terabyte of Google Drive storage, 2 TB of DVR storage, a Nexus 7 and Google Fiber TV option.
In addition, Google has provided Google Network Box that comes with four Ethernet ports and transfers data at 1 Gigabit per second, and WiFi that offers 360 Megabits per second with each package.
3. No Download Caps: Perhaps the best feature of the Google Fiber is its no-caps services. Unlike most of the ISPs, Google doesn't impose download limit on its users and even includes Netflix along with YouTube and Fiber TV products. So you can free download anything as much as you want.
4. Fiber TV: Google has taken the Internet service providing business into a next level by providing a TV service in tandem with their Fiber service. Google's Fiber TV features hundreds of HD channels including MTV, BET, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central and gives users options to add premium movie channels at an additional charge. Disney-owned channels such as ESPN, the Disney Channel and ABC Family are, however, not in the list of available TV channels.
The Fiber TV also lets users record up to eight shows simultaneously and store over 500 hours of HD video on the cloud.
5. Nexus 7 or Chromebook as Remote: Google is also giving free Nexus 7 Android tablet to the Kansas City users as a remote as there is no QWERTY keyboard on the remote. The company, however, does not disclose whether it's giving away the 8GB model or 16GB version. In addition, the Google Fiber site also shows that the Google Chromebook can also be an option for $299.
What do you think is the best feature of Google Fiber? Let's know in the comment section.