Six Satellites Launched From One Indian Rocket: What Are They Doing?
The Indian Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre on Monday Feb. 25, carrying with it seven satellites from around the globe on different missions.
The satellites vary widely in size and shape, but each is a vital part of massive research programs that have required years of planning and huge investments in research. Let’s take a look at some of the objects that now float miles above our heads, and why are up there:
6) STRaND-1: A Google Nexus One smartphone, strapped to a satellite by the Surrey Space Centre at the University of Surrey, this Android-powered satellite runs a small number of apps voted on by the public, including taking photos, measuring the Earth's magnetic field, space telemetry and an app that lets users upload and play videos, in space. The scientists are also running tests to determine how a smartphone works in space.
5) AAUSAT3: A Danish satellite built by Aalbord University students to conduct space experiments.
4) SARAL: Made in a collaboration between the Indian Space Research Organisation and the French Space Agency, this satellite was built to look earthward, largely to take pictures of oceans and study the atmosphere.
3) Bright Target Explorer (BRITE): Canadian astronomers posted two tiny nanosatellites on the rocket, as a part of a project to measure how the brightness of stars changes over time. The two 8-inch cubes weigh less than 16 pounds. They are only one piece of an eventual six-satellite constellation.
2) Near-Earth Object Surveillance Satellite (NEOSSat): A $25 million suitcase-sized spacecraft that is being sent up to keep an eye out for any large asteroids, it apparently would not have done any good in spotting the house-sized 2012 DA14 that narrowly missed Earth on Feb. 15, much less the smaller meteor which failed to miss Russia the same day. But the scientists behind NEOSSat are hoping to spot very specific larger asteroids, more than 30 million miles away.
1) Sapphire: Canada’s first foray into launching military satellites was launched to join the U.S. military’s Space Surveillance System, watching for debris and other satellites.
"It is with great pleasure that I announce that Canada’s Sapphire satellite has been successfully launched," Defense Minister Peter MacKay said in a statement. "Sapphire is a sound investment that will help safeguard billions of dollars of space assets, in fields such as telecommunications, weather, search and rescue and global positioning systems."
How India Started The 'Asian Space Race', Is It Economically Feasible?
India has slowly made a name for itself in the space exploration scene for years. Just recently it has solidified its reputation as a key player in the space market after sending 103 satellites at once into orbit with the use of only one rocket.
Earth Gets Its Third Near-Miss Through Asteroid BH30
The asteroid BH30 missed the Earth as it passed through the planet on Jan. 30. The asteroid which was of the size of a car is reportedly the third space rock that was supposed to hit the Earth as was detected by scientists days before their closest flyby to the planet.
New Study Shows Asteroids Could Camouflage Themselves With Other Kinds Of Material
There has been a new discovery showing that asteroids have the ability to adapt to other materials upn collision, making hit haard to decipher from its surface and its inner core composition.
Armageddon 2016: Are We Prepared For An Asteroid Impact? NASA Experts Say We’re Not; Details Inside
Considering the possibility of an asteroid collision on Earth, how prepared are we in facing this unpleasant surprise? When will this asteroid impact be? Can we still do something about this or is it too late for the human race? Here’s what experts have to say
How To Deal With Killer Asteroids? Nuke Them, NASA Suggests
Astronomers say that the Earth is not prepared for a massive asteroid attack, and if a last minute asteroid-deflection is needed, we'll just have to nuke them.
MORE IN ITECHPOST
iOS 11 Plagued with Untested Bugs and Early Adoption Pitfalls
Reports of nagging iOS 11 issues have started pouring in just a day after the software was released by Apple on supported devices.
'Tokyo Ghoul' Season 3 Delayed By Its Live-Action Movie? Ken Kenaki Returns With Another Identity?
"Tokyo Ghoul" season 3's release is delayed and there are countless speculations as to why it is being pushed back. Reports claim that the show is to give way to "One Punch Man" and "My Hero Acdemia" but new rumors say that it's lack of materials and storyline as well as its live-action movie are causing the delay.
‘Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero DLC’ First Gameplay Trailer Leaks Online
First gameplay trailer pertaining to RE7: Not A Hero DLC has just leaked on YouTube.