Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3: Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Via Slim Bean Build 3 Custom ROM (Tutorial)
Samsung Galaxy S3 owners on Sprint can now get a taste of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, but unofficially thanks to the Slim Bean Build 3 ROM.
The latest Slim Bean Build 3 ROM brings the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update to Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 smartphone and is now available for download. However, this is not an official ROM.
Like Us on Facebook
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to install the ROM for your Galaxy S3.
- Remember that the instructions are applicable only for use with the Galaxy S3 SPH-L710. Flashing the ROM on any other device may brick your smartphone. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Remember to read through the instructions before beginning.
- Remember to back up important data.
- Ensure your phone's battery power is at least 85 percent, if not fully charged, to avoid disruption due to power loss.
- Users should note that the instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the firmware on your Galaxy S3. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk. iTechPost takes no responsibility for any damage or issues you may encounter with your smartphone, including bricking your device
- Ensure that you have installed the USB drivers for the Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 on your PC properly.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your phone.
- Ensure that your phone is rooted with ClockWorkMod (CWM) installed on it.
- Download Slim Bean Build 3 ROM 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for Galaxy S3 L710 .
- Download Google Apps.
Step 1: Connect your Galaxy S3 to the PC using the USB cable.
Step 2: Next, mount the storage and copy the downloaded Android 4.2.2 zip file and Google Apps zip to the SD card. Do not extract any files.
Step 3: Next, switch off your device and disconnect it from the USB cable.
Step 4: Switch on your phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the device boots into Recovery mode. (Use the Volume buttons to scroll between the options and Power button to select)
Step 5: Next, in the Recovery mode perform a backup of the existing ROM. This is done so that you can restore later in the scenario that the new one doesn't work.
Step 6: To perform the backup select "Backup and Restore" and select "backup" again on the next screen. Return to the main recovery menu once the backup is complete.
Step 7: Next, perform data wiping to avoid a clash between the new ROM and the previous one. To do this follow these steps:
- Select "Wipe data/factory reset".
- Next, select "Yes" to confirm the action.
- Wait till the data wiping is complete. Once the wiping cache partition process is through, select "Wipe Dalvik Cache" under "Advanced" option. Return to recovery menu once complete.
Step 8: Next, scroll down to "install zip from SD card" and press the Power button to select the same. Select "choose zip from SD card."
Step 9: Navigate to Slim Bean Build 3 ROM 4.2.2 Jelly Bean you copied to the SD card using the volume keys. Select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes > Install. The procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step again for the Google Apps zip file.
Step 10: Once the installation is complete, select "Go Back" and reboot the phone by selecting "reboot system now" from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and may take about 5 minutes, so wait until the process completes.
You now have the Slim Bean Build 3 ROM 4.2.2 Jelly Bean installed on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3. Verify the firmware version by going to Settings >About Phone.