Seven Hospitalized, 1 Dead In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning has been blamed for the death of 18-year-old Trevor Noble in Anchorage, Alaska. Seven other family members have been hospitalized following the incident. Firefighters and police investigators say a faulty furnace system had caused carbon monoxide to build up inside the garage of the home where the victims had been living.
According to investigators, a damaged boiler had prevented the escape of carbon monoxide from the garage, leading to excessive exposure. According to Lt. John McKinnon of Anchorage Police Department, Noble was sleeping above the garage at the time he was exposed to the dangerous gas. He died in the incident but other seven persons affected by the gas were taken to hospitals for immediate treatment, CBS News reports.
No arrests whatsoever will be made following the incident
McKinnon disclosed that the police would not be making any arrests following the incident. They reason for this is because no foul play was suspected and they could see that there was no malicious intent from anyone concerning the incident. He added that the district attorney has been notified of the case and appropriate action will be taken.
Carbon monoxide was proven to be responsible for the death and hospitalizations, but the fire department is still investigating the incident to determine the extent to which the bad furnace system and the faulty garage boiler had helped the gas to build up in the home. An odorless and colorless gas, carbon monoxide could be very fatal and is released from power generators, vehicles and other machines where there is incomplete fuel combustion. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms are often installed to warn families when the gas levels rise above average in the home.
Another seven hospitalized following exposure in New Philadelphia
Carbon monoxide leakage has also been blamed for the hospitalization of seven people and one puppy in Uhrichsville, south of New Philadelphia. Firefighters and the police were called to the home of the victims on Wednesday morning and tests revealed they were critically exposed to carbon monoxide. A Fido bag was used to resuscitate the little puppy with fresh oxygen supply and it is now recovered sufficiently to be fully healthy again, Cleveland 19 News wrote.
How Did Pluto’s Icy Heart Got Broken? Is The Ice Build-Up To Be Blamed For This?
What Might Have Really Caused Pluto’s Iconic Feature To Be Broken? Can The Ice Build-Up On The Dwarf Planet Solely To Be Blamed For This Or There Are Underlying Factors To It? Find Out What Scientists Have To Say
What Risks Do Lithium-Ion Batteries Pose?
Lithium-ion batteries were recently found out to emit harmful gasses that contain electrolytes carrying toxic halogens.
Nanoneedles: A Scientific Breakthrough Enabling Carbon Dioxide To Be Turned Back To Fuel
A group of researchers found a way to make it work by recycling carbon dioxide and turn it back into fuel through the use of 'nanoneedles'.
MORE IN ITECHPOST
Mobile Phone App Designed to Boost Physical Activity in Women Shows Promise in Trial
Activity trackers and mobile phone apps are all the rage, but do they really help users increase and maintain physical activity? A new study has found that one mobile phone app designed for inactive women did help when combined with an activity tracker and personal counseling.
AI and High-Performance Computing Extend Evolution to Superconductors
Materials by design: Argonne researchers use genetic algorithms for better superconductors.
Owners of thoroughbred stallions carefully breed prizewinning horses over generations to eke out fractions of a second in million-dollar races. Materials scientists have taken a page from that playbook, turning to the power of evolution and artificial selection to develop superconductors that can transmit electric current as efficiently as possible.