Culture

'13 Reasons Why's' Dylan Minnette Comments On Car Seat Headrest's Twitter Attack; Selena Gomez Finally Answers To Criticisms

By Donna Marie Lapena Padua , May 01, 2017 06:10 AM EDT
Close

The dark mystery drama on Netflix, "13 Reasons Why" has been getting a slew of criticisms that the show's team has since been addressing to. After experts and schools talked against the series, Will Toledo of the Car Seat Headrest took to social media to discourage the youth to see the show. Following all the backlash, Selena Gomez has finally spoken to defend "13 Reasons Why," which she co-produced.

After "13 Reasons Why" finished airing its episodes last month, different mental and psychological experts have given their opinion about the show, which later had schools convinced that their students should not watch it. Fans were more surprised when Car Seat Headrest's Will Toledo spoke negatively about the show, whom his band has contributed their "Oh! Starving" single to the soundtrack.

The band member placed on Twitter about his dismay about "13 Reasons Why" posting how he is obliged to tell everyone about the messed up plot of the drama. He also addressed to the youth in the comments section, suggesting that they see another show instead and called out to the writers to stop telling the youth how to commit suicide.

Following this, Dylan Minnette who played the character Clay Jensen replied to Will Toledo's tweet saying he feels sorry that he sees the show that way. He was also quick to defend "13 Reasons Why" writing that he and the rest of the team do not intend to help the teen kill themselves and has testified to the positive impact that the series left among the youth.

Will Toledo is not the only celebrity though who is discouraging people not to see "13 Reasons Why" as Swedish singer Zara Larsson has previously claimed that the show glorifies teen suicide. Michael Jackson's daughter, Paris, has also recently urged her followers on social media to not watch the series.

Following all the controversies and criticisms that Netflix and "13 Reasons Why" are currently facing, a second season might be hard to push through, but Selena Gomez tried to give light to the issues. The 24-year-old songstress who served as an executive producer of "13 Reasons Why" said that the show only followed the story of Jay Asher's book and delivered the scenes truthfully although they already know that they will be facing backlashes.

'We stayed very true to the book and that's initially what Jay Asher created, was a beautifully tragic, complicated yet suspenseful story, and I think that's what we wanted to do," Selena Gomez recently said in an interview. 'We wanted to do it justice and, yeah, [the backlash is] going to come no matter what. It's not an easy subject to talk about, but I'm very fortunate with how it's doing and I'm overwhelmed, very proud of it," she added.

© 2019 ITECHPOST, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Real Time Analytics