Science

Meningitis Death: Gym Cyclist Dies Of Infection, May Have Infected 300 More

By Duna Bil , Jan 14, 2017 01:55 AM EST
NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 11: Stationary riders participate in the first ever outdoor ride on High Line park in Manhattan on April 11, 2013 in New York City. One hundred riders participated in the SoulCycle spinning workout which raised funds for the park. (Photo : Mario Tama/Getty Images)

Public officials in Marin County are currently busy notifying hundreds of people, who have come in contact with a certain gym cyclist, after a report of meningitis death. Sevin Philips, the 48-year-old victim who took SoulCycle classes, suddenly died January 7. His death is prompting local officials to issue a health alert at the exercise studio. 

Around 300 people are estimated to have come in contact with the victim within December 31 to January 7. Most of the people health officials are trying to get a hold of are Philip's fellow cyclist and others who exercised Larkspur cycle fitness studio. Meningitis death is easily preventable by a single dose of ciprofloxacin, an antibiotic that commonly treats this kind of infection. 

According to Marin Independent Journal, the risk for exposure of the public is low as the bacteria is typically transmitted through coughing, sneezing, and prolonged close contact with the infected person. Respiratory discharges that have landed on surfaces can also be a source of the infection, the SF Chronicle says. In the exercise studio, there are a lot of chances where other fitness members could have gathered the bacteria. 

All the bikes and exercise equipments have reportedly been deeply cleaned and sterilized according to the ABC 7 News. Meningitis is an infection that inflames the brain and the spinal cord, causing severe headache, vomiting, stiff neck, and high fever. It is easily preventable with antibiotic, but tricky to diagnose.  

Members of the fitness studio are urged to get themselves checked out by doctors as soon as possible. Earlier this week, another case of bacterial meningitis was reported to have claimed the life of a healthy teenager. With the symptoms of the bacterial infection, public health officials are warning people to go to the hospital right away to avoid any unnecessary meningitis deaths. 

 

© 2016 ITECHPOST, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission..
Real Time Analytics