Despite the phenomenal success of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" last year of 2015, Disney chief Bob Iger says the new upcoming movie "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is expected to fail.
Despite the lowered box office expectations, Disney chief Bob Iger did meet with Lucas Film head Kathleen Kennedy to map out Star Wars movies from 2021 and beyond. The studio already announced two more sequels they planned centered on the Skywalker clan, as well as spinoffs about the Death Star and a Han Solo origin story.
Rogue One - which unfolds before the first Star Wars - is not expected by the Disney CEO to match the box office returns of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." He stressed that the movie is third-highest grossing film in the history and racked up nearly $2.1 billion globaly so they never felt Rogue One would do the level that Force Awakens did. But according to the response of people on the trailers and posters, he said the level of interest for Rogue One is "as high as it was for Force Awakens."
So realistically, Iger's warning is considered as common sense.
Bad Publicity Over Reshoots
A few months ago, Rogue One encountered bad publicity when it was set to undergo five weeks of reshoot. The internet reacted with mass panic assuming that the movie could be in trouble. Of course, these rumors werre debunked after realizing that these reshoots are commonplace and normal for projects with deep budgets to spare. Speeking to Entertainment Weekly, Rogue One director Gareth Edwards said it's always been part of their plans to reshoot, calling the whole ordeal a "logistical nightmare" because the cast is so large so individual shots in small groups add to the scedule. "Obviously, you've got to work around everyone's schedule, and everyone's on different films all over the world."
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is set to hit the theaters on December 16. The film's main cast include Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, and Riz Ahmed.