Drinking unpasteurized or raw milk is becoming a trend nowadays. However, a warning has been issued after raw milk was blamed for a food poisoning outbreak in England causing six people to be ill.
"From Moo To You" Farm Suspends Sales After Food Poisoning Outbreak
Low Sizergh Barn Farm in Kendal in the Lake District, Cumbria, is an award-winning firm who have won a string of tourism and National Trust awards for selling untreated milk. They use the slogan "From Moo To You", and they sell milk fresh from the udder, Democrat Gazette reported. People purchase their products using special dispensers at the popular Lake District farm shop. This trend has migrated across the Atlantic from the US to the UK.
The firm, however, has currently suspended sales from its vending machines while an investigation is conducted due to reports that six people had food poisoning after consuming the ready to drink, untreated milk. According to The Telegraph, the Food Standards Agency stressed that children and the elderly should never "consume raw drinking milk because it has not been heat treated".
Campylobacter Bacteria Found In Unprocessed Milk Can Cause Severe Diarrhea And Vomiting
It is known currently known if the victims were hospitalized, but experts say that campylobacter bacteria from unprocessed milk can cause severe diarrhea and vomiting. A spokesman for South Lakeland Council said: "The number of confirmed cases is small. But it is important that we let people know about the situation in case others have been affected."
Raw milk advocates argue that unpasteurized milk contains more antibodies, is healthier and cleaner and tastes better. Health experts believe, though, that raw milk can harbor dangerous microorganisms that can pose serious health risks. In the US, an analysis from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that between 1993 and 2006, more than 1500 people became sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk.