It's a nice day to wake up today because the rumors proved to be true, well somewhat true, as PS4 Neo is officially announced but is now named PlayStation 4 'Pro' (PS4 Pro). Sony has finally uncovered its hardware upgrade and will be priced at $399. PS4 Pro will be available on Nov. 10. Also its younger brother, the long-speculated PS4 Slim will also be available at an early date of Sept 15 and will retail for $299.
WeGotThisCovered.com also reports that words come by way from Sony's ongoing PlayStation Meeting, where Mark Cerny, the architect for the PlayStation 4, confirmed that the upgraded console will now support "true" 4K resolution in gaming and also HDR display. Afterwhich, a series of gameplay demos were showcased revealing games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Insomiac's Spider-Man, and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, all taking full benefit of the advanced resolution.
The full specs of the PS4 Pro can be found below as reported by GameSpot.com:
- Main processor: Custom-chip single Processor
o CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores
o GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD RadeonTM based graphics engine
- Memory: GDDR5 8GB
- Storage size: 1TB
- External dimensions: Approx. 295×55×327 mm (width × height × length) (excludes largest projection)
- Mass: Approx. 3.3 kg
- BD/DVD Drive: BD × 6 CAV, DVD × 8 CAV
- Input/Output: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.1 Gen.1) port × 3, AUX port × 1
- Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)×1, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
- Power: AC 100V, 50/60Hz
- Power consumption: Max. 310W
- Operating temp: 5ºC - 35ºC
- AV Output: HDMI out port (supports 4K/HDR) DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port
Is there a catch?
Of course, if you play games in 4K, you will need to pair it with a 4K display monitor. So as early as now, if you still don't have one, it's time to plan out that budget to include a new 4K TV or monitor.
What would be the visual difference?
In sync with previous rumors that the enhanced GPU and performance of PS4 Neo (speculated name) will now spear head for a now more stable experience if used with the PlayStation VR. To confirm this, Cerny has also noted that VR titles that are played with PS4 Pro will have a slight bump on visual performance.
Sony announced a hint of this new system back in June and confirmed that it was in the works, after that no further details were released, followed by months of silence, until today. PS4 Pro is an upgrade to the original PS4 and has more processing power. Sony also claimed that PS4 Pro will be sold alongside it's predecessor serving as a 'complement console'.
Once again, here are the launch and price details of the freshly unveiled PS4's:
- PS4 Pro available on Nov. 10 at $399
- PS4 Slim available on Sep. 15 at $299